Again, bandits raid Kaduna, Zamfara, kill 62, abduct 62, raze 70 houses
The orgy of violence in the northern part of the country has claimed 60 lives in Kaduna and Zamfara states.
Twenty-five persons, including two military personnel, were reportedly killed, while a riot policeman allegedly shot a passerby and no fewer than 70 houses were razed on Sunday following an attack by terrorists on Agban Kagoro in the Kaura Local Government Area of Kaduna State.
The two local governments are in the Southern Kaduna area of the state and share boundaries.
In Zamfara State, bandits killed 37 persons and kidnapped 62 others in Juyi and Doruwa villages in the Bungudu Local Government Area, while 20 others were killed in Ganar-Kiyawa village in the Bukkuyum Local Government Area on Saturday.
The Kaduna killings sparked protests on Monday as irate youths from the affected area blocked the road and attacked travellers.
It was learnt that a bus was set ablaze during the protest as riot policemen fired into the protesting youths, with a bullet allegedly hitting one of the protesters.
This forced the state government to impose a 24-hour curfew on the Jema’a and Kaura local government areas of the state.
The Commissioner for Internal Security and Home Affairs, Samuel Aruwan, who announced this in a statement, said the measure was to allow security agencies to save lives and property, and restore law and order in the areas.
The statement said the government appealed to residents of the local government areas to cooperate with security agencies to restore peace, law and order.
The commissioner quoted Governor Nasir El-Rufai to have condemned the violence that left many dead and property destroyed.
The statement titled, ‘KDSG declares 24-hour curfew in Jema’a and Kaura LGAs’, read, “Following advice from security agencies, the Kaduna State Government has declared a 24-hour curfew in Jema’a and Kaura local government areas with immediate effect. This is to assist the security agencies to stabilise the situation in the areas, save lives and property, and enable the restoration of law and order.
“A statement from the Ministry of Internal Security and Home Affairs said the security agencies had full authorisation to enforce the curfew. The government appeals to all residents of the Jema’a and Kaura local government areas to cooperate with the security agencies in the urgent task of restoring peace and upholding law and order.
“The government condemns the violence and all acts of lawlessness that have occurred in the area.”
The District Head, Kukum community in the Kagoro Chiefdom, Mr Jashua Kagoya, who narrowly escaped the attack, said the terrorists invaded the community in a military van with sophisticated weapons and took vantage positions.
According to him, the villagers retired home after their normal activities when they suddenly heard gunshots around 8pm and they had to flee the community.
Kagoya stated, “As you can see, my personal house is completely razed down, but I thank God that my family members and I were able to escape the attack.
“It is very sad that such carnage has been meted out on the peace loving people of Kagoro. We condemn this act in totality and we’re calling on the government to rise to its primary responsibility of protecting lives and property.”
The district head disclosed that 23 corpses had been recovered, while a search was on for others.
The Wakilin Yanmma of Kagoro Chiefdom, Mr Yanshen Sunday, said when he heard gunshots, he contacted the Commandant of the Operation Safe Haven, who promised to respond immediately, which he did.
Sunday said, “While we were trying to figure out what was happening, I saw two military vans and thought the military men came to defend our community, but to my greatest surprise, they were the attackers.
“Before we knew it, the whole place was on fire. We have recovered 23 dead bodies, but I cannot ascertain the number of houses burnt down.
“While some youths were reacting to the killings, a riot policeman was alleged to have shot dead a passerby, which escalated the tension in the Jema’a Local Government Area.”
A resident of the community, Mr Derek Christopher, said the terrorists came in large numbers in military vans, buses and motorbikes.
He stated, “Two military officers were killed by the attackers.
“Before now, a lot of locals could not access their farmlands for fear of being killed. We’re calling on the government to immediately deploy security in the Agban community to ensure that the people are safe.”
An indigene of the Bungudu Local Government Area of Zamfara State, Sani Ibrahim, told one of our correspondents that the terrorists, who rode on motorcycles, attacked Juyi and Dorawa villages of the Kekun Waje around 2pm on Saturday and killed 17 villagers and kidnapped 62 others.